Terrain choices

Coordinator
May 29, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Do you want me to continue to modify Octree? It doesn't even have splatting but I can put it in right now. Otherwise we could use the PagingLandscape that has been added to Axiom recently. It has splatting but would still need modifications. I will modify Octree for now. I need to be able to lower polygon size though for deformation.

Developer
Jun 1, 2009 at 10:10 AM

I think we must implement our own SceneManager.

With the support of StaticGeometry (you are not using static geometry yet i think...) and Fix LOD support, smartmap & RPG's general performance must increase above %400!!

We will not need Octree structure & a grid based, a fix load radius structured SceneManager would handle our needs better. I would start to implement a scenemanager like that but, first please prepare a Uml Class Diagram as we mentioned before and a little document that explains SmartMap uses which library for which reason...

Without them i (or anyone who want to modify your code) would be lost in your code :)

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2009 at 6:14 PM
Edited Jun 1, 2009 at 6:16 PM

OK, As long as you can see in the distance mountains and stuff.

With the UML should I just use the diagram you made as a reference? I'll start something now. I know Visual studio has UML 'cd' files which might be best to work in I guess.

I do have some UML there already for the basic Smartmap structure but will expand it in SmartMap_Core.

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2009 at 5:54 AM
Edited Jun 5, 2009 at 6:02 AM

Working in the UML cd files is interesting so far. I just haven't messed with it too much as far as coding from there but it's working well so far. I will add classes from the diagrams.

Developer
Jun 6, 2009 at 12:38 AM

Yes, we need the umls as simple as possible this time. dont try to mess so much to convert all your classes to class diagrams. I just need to understand your hierarchy, not need the whole attributes & methods. We might make modifications on your class hierarchy to make them more understandable, robust, and hack-free :)

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2009 at 5:50 PM
Edited Jun 20, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Also I wanted to mention Axiom adding the terrain deformation tool that includes things like splatting etc. So we might use this or not.

Developer
Jun 24, 2009 at 7:45 AM
Edited Jun 24, 2009 at 7:45 AM

I hope that we will no need for terrain deformations, no need for octree functions, nor paging functions and no need for splatting. Since we use grid hierarchy (since it seems that will not changed at future) and we have probably mostly use top/down views like many rpg games (Camera usage similar to Neverwinter, BaldursGate and similar rpg games that uses isometric-like views) so we will not use horizontal views at the second. So the all paging and similar things will be not needed. They are mostly used on FPS and uses Shoulder View Camera Styles (like Tomb Raider).

We will mostly need a simple scene-manager that only render the items in a radius from the camera. Thats it. No need for more or less.

Developer
Jun 24, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Also possibilly no need for LOD...

Coordinator
Jun 24, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Well obviously you know what your doing with the GIS system you do. Looks nice by the way.

I just thought that what Crickhollow has done with paging terrain seems nice although if we can do it our own way I always prefer the more simple solution of course.

My deformation was pretty simple probably no need to use their deformer as well.

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2009 at 12:40 AM
Edited Jun 29, 2009 at 1:22 AM

You can add what you want for your game to SmartMap_Core but it will still have feautres for FPSs and things I need like distance camera and terrain paging etc. But you don't have to use that if you dont want. If you want to work on stuff to get the isometric game going that's fine and will make it easier for now to keep things simple. I can focus on core stuff too but for now keep it simple focusing on the grid and flat terrain you want.

As you modify it make it OOP enough so others can do an FPS game if they want, but you don't have to work on that portion.

Developer
Jun 29, 2009 at 6:12 PM

yes i also aim that

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Thanks for helping. Also I put a UML lnk in the wiki. I was looking for a picture resize thing but I don't think wikis have that.