Cross-platform options

Coordinator
Apr 30, 2009 at 6:58 AM
Edited Apr 30, 2009 at 8:44 AM
Would there be a way to do the Editor GUI stuff in Java or port it later from C# for cross-platform? Just some ideas, it's not totally urgent. I use Windows but maybe later on I know I will probably port SmartMap so it's crossplatform.
Developer
Apr 30, 2009 at 4:29 PM
Uh, it is wierd to implement the world classes for twice (for c# and java) and it would take some time.
Maybe we could prepare a WorldEditor in .net C# then search for C# linux GUI libraries to crate another gui for linux on C#.
It would be more reasonable i think...
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2009 at 7:38 PM
Edited Jul 1, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Sounds good. I just want to avoid using higher end .NET libraries that are too closely tied to Windows and their patents.
We can use Portable.NET or parts of Mono. Of course Axiom uses Mono but they don't dabble in the Windows centric libraries too much. I think stuff like ASP.NET or XML that's formatted for Windows is like that.
I think Multiverse has been great about this using Java for their server code and that's the reason allot of people like multiverse allot. Also using a C# engine is great for the devs.

Here is an article that people are discussing on some of this issue: I don't agree with RMS not wanting people to use C#, but he just seems to be plugging Portable.NET.

http://www.osnews.com/story/21753/Stallman_Warns_of_Mono_Right_