Replacing SmartMap with SmartMap_Core code

Coordinator
Jul 7, 2009 at 6:24 AM
Edited Jul 7, 2009 at 6:25 AM

I think I have decided to use what we are doing with SmartMap_Core and just call this SmartMap. I will be deleting SmartMap and then we can convert SmartMap_Core into SmartMap.

You can replace the SmartMap_Core naming to SmartMap when you upload.

The Draw2D aspect should be replaced or extended with the SmartMap_UI library which should be based on the WorldEditor. That should include some 2D graphics and a navigator which is already being produced. Maybe add SmartMap_SceneManager which will allow for choice of SceneManager (Quadtree, Octree etc.) and we will keep SmartMap_Renderer for other engines then Axiom, C++ or C# or whatever..

There's some OOP, haha.

Coordinator
Jul 7, 2009 at 6:27 AM

Or you could still leave it as SmartMap_Core if you want but I don't know.

Coordinator
Jul 7, 2009 at 6:33 AM
Edited Jul 7, 2009 at 6:43 AM

Also the scene manager might have to be tied more closely to Axiom so maybe not a SmartMap_SceneManager folder.

But maybe a SceneManager folder because I want to have different code to use with each SceneManager.

Developer
Jul 22, 2009 at 7:22 AM

I think, there must be a tree like relation between the projects.

SmartMap

• SmartMap.Core
  • SmartMap.Demo
    • SmartMap.Demo.Axiom
      • SmartMap.Demo.Axiom.SceneManager01
      • SmartMap.Demo.Axiom.SceneManager02
      • SmartMap.Demo.Axiom.SceneManager03

Coordinator
Jul 22, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Looks good. i will try to set up the libraries since you are focussing on the game right now. I will try to start this. This will be a good start just to focuss on having a choice of terrain managers or SceneManagers. Right now being stuck with Octree is limiting since it does polygons strange ( too large). You can also have your own SceneManager when your ready. Right now I don't think we even have a SceneManager for your game but I will bring in others.

Developer
Jul 23, 2009 at 5:35 PM

These are my thoughts:

We must think like another way... Since many games and simulations needs are always changing so, making a global SceneManager for all seems nearly impossible. Forexample, since an rpg SceneManager need to focus on vertical based views and a Mech Fighting/Action game want to focus on horizontal view details. So Octree mechanism is useful on Horizontal views that uses large and linear terrains. If a terrain will need a concave structure, octree could not handle it (a cave or a sharp edge can not be generated by an octree).

So i think smartMap must focus on not general issues like rendering, but to focus on complex maze generation only. Also as an option quests can be supported by SmartMap since it must be coordinateless and very abstract, because quests would spread to many maps and it would be useless if some one want to implement complex triggers for quests. So smartMap only could make a relation-graph of quests, it can not detail it.

All other operations are application specific, and they would not look professional if they exist on SmartMap.

And on the game side, i want to agree with you on one thing. This game mustn't be my game but of us. I want to involve many people as i can on this game, to make it happen, and you are the most important friend on this status, because i have no any other developer friends who want to involve on this game. So we are only you and me as developers. And i dont want to divide our responsibilities as SmartMap and RPG game as you mentioned. I want to learn SmartMap and want to aid you as much as i can. And i wish, you would help me on RPG game too... And please if you have any other of your friends who would want to share this game project with us, please involve them too. They would be anyone who want to make sketches, make 3d models, developing, animation, sound bank owners, music composers, or just want to share their vision with us.

as on the lyrics of Pink Floyd: together we stand, divided we fall...

Coordinator
Jul 23, 2009 at 8:29 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2009 at 8:30 PM

That sounds good. I will let you take your time on these projects. I can probably join your game project too. Are you moving all game files over to The Saga project or is it split? If you want me to join the Saga project that's fine. Yah, I will let you do what you need to do and then I will try to help out where I can or what you think I should do.

Also I know this stuff takes time, like years. I just started SmartMap officially only last August. And this The Saga is new.

I have a drawer who might be interested. We are doing a comic together and he is pretty good. You guys would relate I think. I'm good to though but need more practice. I am good with writing though. Real good there.

Also, I am good with voices and sound.

Coordinator
Jul 23, 2009 at 8:31 PM

If you want me to do voices i think that would be fun.

Developer
Jul 26, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Wow that is fantastic news! I would really want to meet him. Please make him contact with me. What type/stye he draws are there any samples that he would send. As you know we need an intro. It has a less detailed explaination script about what must be drawed. So i could prepare a more detailed explanation text to him this week...

I have a friend who helps me on scenario. We will end the basic scenario tomarrow. She will start to write the detailed one after that by herself. And by the moment i will send the basic scenario to my sister (she have graduaded from american literature, she really good on english).

I also agreed with one of the guys on there (istanbul) to help on coloring & illustration. And another friend of mine (the one who prepares the character animation/designs of Darkness Within 2 PC-Game) will aid us (he might be so busy so, maybe by teaching me,) advanced modelling (normal maps, skeletons, facial animation, weight maps etc...)

Yes making a game need a great time period.

I hope i will resume to coding next weekend. We must continue to world & world editor after we finalize SmartMap.

Coordinator
Jul 27, 2009 at 1:48 AM

OK, I will set this up. um, I will post some of his art soon or he will. I am linking this thread to him now and if you want you guys can chat on the IM too. I'll see what's up on his end.

Coordinator
Jul 27, 2009 at 2:02 AM

he will come over. Maybe we'll use the IM or phone. We can set up a time.

Developer
Jul 28, 2009 at 11:44 AM
Edited Jul 28, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Ok, say any time you want. If we set the meeting on weekend, i could get on IM anytime you want. Else, we must set it up on 08.00pm to 02.00am with GMT +2.00 time (it is Istanbul clock)

Btw, yesterday me and my friend have finished to write the basic scenario. I am going to send the scripts to my sister for translate them to english this week.

Coordinator
Jul 30, 2009 at 6:55 AM
Edited Jul 30, 2009 at 6:55 AM

My friend Eric will come over to my house on Sunday. I will help him navigate what we are doing. I will have him sign up at codeplex.

Also, we will IM you around 1-2pm CST -6 GMT. He will pass along some art work. He'll have allot of questions. He wants to get deeper into the art industry as well and has a tun(allot) of material. He is mostly an artist story writer but knows how to manipulate finished work in art programs.

Developer
Jul 30, 2009 at 12:41 PM

ok Sunday is perfect... i'll open IM and i'll wait you both on 1-2pm CST -6 GMT.

Coordinator
Aug 2, 2009 at 6:16 PM

We're on the IM now 1:16pm CST.